Monday, January 19, 2009

ouchie.

(This story is for all of you who want to know why Helena was hobbling around on crutches - don't worry, haha I didn't describe anything bloody)

Yes, as you all know, I love sports. I love lots of sports. I especially love soccer. And another thing you all know, is that anyone who loves sports must, every once in a while suffer from sports injuries. Such injuries - pulling a muscle, spraining an ankle, breaking a leg etc. - happen while you are playing a sport. Most of you have been injured while playing a sport, so you would know what I mean. On Monday last week (first day of school) I was playing soccer and I was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the hospital. But nooooooooooo, this was not the kind of sport injury you're probably thinking about. This is going to sound totally wierd but... I fell into a fish pond.

I live an apartment complex made up of six buildings. A long, narrow koi pond borders the side of my building. One day, I took the elevator down to the ground floor and walked outside. My mom had told me to go down and tell my brother and his friend - who were 'sword-fighting' with some sticks - to calm down and try not to poke each others eyes out. I yelled out her orders to them (they stuck there tongues out in reply) and was turning around to go back in and finish my math homework when I saw Kristina, a 7th grader who lives at my apartment complex, playing around with a soccer ball on the grass. Any excuse for a break from math was fine with me, so I jogged over to her to join in. "Hey" she said, "Wanna play?"
"Yeah sure," I replied and ran back a few meters, "Pass!"
And that's where it all went wrong.
Kristina kicked the ball too hard. It spun through the air over my head and kept going behind me. By instinct, I spun around quickly to follow it ... That was a mistake. I hadn't realized how far back I had been standing when I called for Kristina to pass, and before I could stop myself from running it was too late - I was too close to the koi pond. I lost balance and with a "Whooaaaa" I splashed in. The pond was pretty shallow - the water was only up to my knees. I quickly crawled out, onto the other side. I had landed on the rocks and my right shin felt kind of funny. Bruised, I thought, not bothering to look at it. I sat there soaked, a huge grin on my face.
"Haha" I laughed, "that was pretty stupid. Now I'm wet." I was about to get up when I realized Kristina was staring at my leg, her face twisted in horror. I glanced down at my shin and my jaw dropped. I yanked my eyes away , not wanting to look.
"M-my leg..." I stuttered, "Yikes".

I did NOT want to be put under general anesthesia. I did not want to breathe in that sweet, minty gas and wake up with that aweful metallic taste in my mouth, I did not want to throw up everything I ate or drank - including water - for an hour, and I did not want to have a a needle stuck to my hand that they would pull out in the most painful way. I'd been put under general before and I didn't want to have to suffer all over again. No - I wouldn't put up with it. I wouldn't. I wouldn't.

And I didn't have to. After much argueing and pouting from me, the doctor finally agreed to local anesthesia. It was worth it... but not by much. The doctor poked me with needle after needle - too many to count, each injection more painful than the last. And then, finally, it was over. Well, the first step was over, now it was time for the operation. I groaned.

An hour later I was sitting patiently in a wheelchair, waiting for my mom to finish paying the bill. I was bored out of my mind - I had spent at least four or five hours at the hospital. Urgh, I thought, that was pretty stupid of me, the whole fish pond thing - hah, my friends will get a laugh out of that! Ooh Helena fell into a fish pond and now she has a hole in her leg!
And then the realization struck me.

OH MY GOD. HOLY COW. I AM SO. DARN. STUPID.

How did I manage to get injured right before the track meet on Thursday?! And today is the day the track and field unit in P.E. started! And plus, I just got back from a vacation full of laziness. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I could have kicked myself in my hurt leg right then.

And now it's a week later. I may be missing the track and field meet this Thursday, but I'm not going to miss ISAKL - the big meet. I'm pretty happy about the fact that I seem to be healing fast. Haha thank you for caring (I mean, you read the blog right?). So yeah, the moral of this story for all of you is...

Don't Fall Into Fish Ponds

Thanks for reading! ~Helena

3 comments:

jdubs said...

(sigh) Helena.. you're always hurting yourself aren't you?? (sigh) Helena, Helena, Helena... tsk tsk (shaking head)
You have to be more careful! You got me worried when you told me you had a hole in your leg!!! :(

angelaagustinus said...

HAHAH! you had a hole in your leg..! xD
you know that i IMAGINED it look like...
like, your leg..and there was this sphere-ish hole in your leg, so i can see whats behind you! xDD
but glad you're feeling a teeny bit better.

Amalia said...

So thats what happen i was wondering what happened :)
nice writing btw i couldn't stop reading...nice XD

fish pond....